The secret recovery phrases are a crucial element for the security of your crypto wallet. Even if your device is lost, damaged, or stolen, you can still restore your wallet through secret recovery phrases. So you always have to keep your secret recovery phrases or private keys safe and secure.
Remember: If you forget your secret recovery phrases or private key you can’t able to restore your wallet.
Best Practices on How to store and secure your Recovery Phrases
- Write it down on a piece of paper and store it in a safe and secure place. Make sure that you never lose the piece of paper.
- Sometimes, it is not safe to write your recovery phrases on paper because your word can easily be stolen. If you really want something more durable than paper, then you can use Cryptotag. With Cryptotag you can store your backup words in virtually indestructible titanium. You can easily read your recovery phrases even after 25 years.
- You can store your recovery phrases inside a password manager. If you are already using then there is no problem, but you can always opt for the password manager. Your recovery phrases will be stored in an encrypted database either locally on the user devices or remotely through an online cloud service. The recommended solutions are 1Password or LastPass.
- You can store recovery phrase/ private keys in your note-taking apps available on your iOS and Android. The Notes application in iOS has a lock feature so that you can store your recovery phrases and lock the particular note with a pin. This is the fastest and easiest way to store your recovery phrases. We would recommend this solution if you are not opting for any of the above solutions.
- The least popular and one of the most secure and safest solutions is memorizing all the secret recovery phrases by yourself. This is far more safest if you trust your memory power. However, we will not recommend this as it is time-consuming and very risky if you didn’t remember the secret recovery phrases.
- Take screenshots of your secret recovery phrase/ private key. Because it can be interpreted by malicious software.
- Share the secret recovery phrase/ private key, even with your wallet admin team.
Always store your recovery seed phrases in multiple and secure places. An accident may destroy your backup, but it won’t affect you if your seed phrases have been stored in multiple places. Redundancy is important.